The Center for United States Studies
The Center for United States Studies was founded on October 31, 1995 by a joint initiative of the state of Sachsen-Anhalt, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, and the U.S. Embassy in Germany. From 1995 to 2006, the Center operated under the auspices of the Leucorea Foundation, a non-profit organization affiliated with Martin Luther University. The Leucorea Foundation administers the holdings of the former University of Wittenberg (Alma mater Leucorea, 1502-1813) and promotes educational, cultural, and research activities in its historic buildings. In 2006, the Center for United States became as a research institution at Martin Luther University.
The Center is dedicated to scholarly research on American history, culture, politics and society. Presently, its research interests are focused the various dimensions of America’s interaction with and role within the wider world. The Center for United States Studies plans and hosts international academic conferences and workshops. Through its various activities as well as through its professional affiliations, the Center reaches out to the academic community. The Center for U.S. Studies is an institutional member of the German Association for American Studies and the American Studies Network within the European Association for American Studies.
The Center for United States Studies also reaches out to the public and considers itself as a resource of knowledge about the United States. As part of the Leucorea's library, the Center possesses an impressive collection of scholarly books and journals, popular magazines, novels and miscellaneous materials.